Speck and radicchio salad is a typical and extremely popular starter in Northern Italian cuisine, particularly in the mountainous Alto Adige region. If speck (smoked prosciutto) is not available in your area, you can use smoked ham or bacon.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 120 gr. (4 oz.) radicchio
- 4 slices speck
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & black pepper
- Rinse the radicchio leaves under running cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper
- Chop the radicchio coarsely and arrange it in your serving platter
- Cut the speck (or bacon) and stir fry in olive oil until crispy (2-3 minutes over high heat)
- Add the balsamic vinegar, reduce the heat, and cook a little more to mellow out the flavor
- When ready, pour the speck on the radicchio with all its juices and enjoy!
Tips from the Chef
- Balsamic vinegar is very important for a perfect result; if not available, you can use red wine and just a touch of sugar