An original UK dish, nowadays used worldwide, jacket potatoes are the king of convenient food. Good as side dish for most meats, can be enriched with any cheese or butter you like.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 2 potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 420° F (220° C)
- In the mean time, wash the potatoes well and prick each in a couple of spots with a fork
- Dry the skin and roll each potato in the salt to make the skin crisp when cooked
- Place the potatoes on the middle level of the oven, preferably directly on the rack so that the hot air can circulate all around (if not available use a tray)
- Bake for about an hour, then with a fork check if the potato is fluffy and the skin crisp
- If not, continue cooking for 10 minutes and then check again
- When ready, take out of the oven and serve immediately!
Tips from the Chef
- If you are short on time, you can pre-cook the potato in the microwave for a few minutes before finishing it in the oven for 20 minutes (to make the skin crisp)
- Check frequently your potatoes because if over cooked the inner part will be dry
- When potatoes are almost done, you can cut them in the middle and add your favorite ingredients, such as salty butter, grated cheese or bacon