Empanadas are a delicious comfort food made of a pastry and a filling, usually a combination of ground beef, tomatoes and chilies. This recipe shows you how to prepare the pastry so you can fill it with your favorite ingredients!
Ingredients (for 2)
- 1/2 egg
- 4 tbsp wheat flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp margarine
- In a large bowl, combine wheat flour, corn flour and salt
- Add a vegetable shortening like margarine and work with your hands for a few seconds
- Add beaten egg yolks and water and knead until dough is soft, about 4-5 minutes
- Flour a surface and knead a little more until firm and smooth
- Cover, let rest 30 minutes and your empanada pastry is ready to be used!
Tips from the Chef
- You can use margarine, lard, or butter in the mix
- Can be prepared in advance and frozen in plastic wrap for later use