Make your own chicken stock with this easy to follow recipe! All chicken scraps are suitable: bones, skin, the whole carcass… A little time consuming but you can make it in large quantities and freeze for later use.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 3 cups chicken scraps
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 celery stalk
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- black pepper
- Coarsely chop the onions, carrots and celery and combine them with the rest of the ingredients in a deep pan
- Take to a boil and let it simmer for about 3 hours
- Remove the scraps and the vegetables with a slotted spoon and pour the stock in a large container through a sieve to remove any remaining solids
- Allow the stock to cool and put it in the fridge for about 2 hours
- You will notice that the fat released from the chicken scraps has surfaced and solidified (looks like a white gelatin)
- Remove it with a spoon and your stock is ready!
Best Served With
You can use chicken stock for gravy, soups and all chicken-based courses
Tips from the Chef
Note that the stock has no salt: the reason being that stocks are one of the building blocks of a soup, it would be very difficult to dose the right amount of salt in the main dish with a salted stock!