Surprise your family and friends with your own beef stock preparation, nothing compares to it! A little time consuming but easy-to-prepare recipe, you can make it in large quantities and freeze for later use. For best results use both beef scraps and bones.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 3 cups beef scraps
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp juniper berries
- 1 tbsp bay leaves
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 6 cups water
- black pepper
- Chop the onions, carrots and celery and combine them with the rest of the ingredients in a large casserole
- Take to a boil and let it simmer for about 3 hours
- Remove the scraps and the vegetables with a slotted spoon and pour the stock in a large container through a sieve to remove any remaining solids
- Allow the stock to cool and put it in the fridge for about 2 hours
- You will notice that the fat released from the beef scraps has surfaced and solidified (looks like a white gelatin)
- Remove it with a spoon and your stock is ready!
Best Served With
You can use beef stock for gravy, soups and virtually all meat-based courses, unless you are looking for a more specific flavor (i.e. chicken, lamb)
Tips from the Chef
Note that the stock has no salt: the reason being that stocks are one of the building blocks of a soup, it would be very difficult to dose the right amount of salt in the main dish with a salted stock!